Hi. I would like to use Maxwell render coupled with Houdini as a main package for my personal projects. Last month I made couple tests with latest plugin and I found some bugs. Here is a list:
1. There is a really annoying problem with camera parameters incorrectly read by Maxwell. For example, setup some simple scene, add camera, specify it on MaxwellROP and try to render - everything works OK. Now save scene, open it again and try to render - Maxwell will incorrectly (or will not at all) read camera settings from Houdini. Not even camera position or ISO. You have to cancel render and try rendering again, or sometimes even set camera on MaxwellROP again, before it will read camera settings properly.
2. Sometimes there is a popup window with error that shows when you try to change any parameter on Maxwell SHOP Material. It says something about missing parameter. Don't remember what the error tells but when it shows once it will show always. So, for example, if you tweak Reflectance or Bump Strength you get error window each time you change value even the slight ammount. But for example if you take the same project to different machine and open it, error may be not present there. It's not that it shows only on one computer. On my personal workstation it doesn't show as frequent but sometimes it popup. It just starts showing without any reason.
3. "Edit in Material Editor" can halt Houdini when you try to save edited material and come back to Houdini. First try most of the time works but next ones are risky to use.
4. "Render Any Frame" always renders only first frame, even if you set timeline on different frame. You have to force different frame by specifing range, for example from 40 to 40.
5. "ROP->Objects->Camera Parameters" and "ROP->Objects->Object Parameters" menus are really hard to use.
What you see on the image is how this part of the menu looks. You can't expand it. So if you got more than one object/camera with different setting it's really hard to navigate, and if there are 5 or more object there it's really easy to miss some setting.
6. Plugin always tries to set expression(or key) like state on every path field, for example if you set path to texture on some shader at some point it turns green. The same happens in ROP with camera path.
7. There are some BIG problems with correct texture rendering. UV's are messed while they render correctly on Mantra/Vray/Modo.
Below image shows example of really simple geometry created in Lightwave. Vertex UV's in 3-5 points are also created with Lightwave. Point 1-2 uses vertex/point UV's created in Houdini.
Here is example scene I used for tests you see on picture above: http://www.mediafire.com/?tiaf9iraz4sal5t
8. What is Subdivision setting on "ROP->Objects->Object Parameters" doing ? Is is for setting subdivision level for geometry like when using "Polygons As Subdivision" or SubdivideSOP when rendring on Mantra ? If this is the case, it doesn't work. When I turned it on one of the projects, it completely deformed my geometry (simple bottle).
I hope that all those problems can be fixed fast so I can use wonderful Maxwell without any problems in my projects.
PS. One last thing, I'm also familiar with HDK and C++/Python programming. Is there possibility to get source code for this plugin ?