Maxwell Render

Maxwell Render Information Repository
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:19 pm 

Hi,

I've two nodes on one network like 192.168.1.x and another one is in another room connected to another subnet, let's say 192.168.2.x

The machine running the manager has 2 network cards, one for each subnet, and can be pinged from both networks.

The problem is that the manager only listens on one network. Is there an easy way to use both networks to render?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:24 pm 

Did you try adding the server manually?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:40 pm 

tom wrote:
Did you try adding the server manually?

I did, but what I didn't do until now is to start the server with the manager IP of the different network.

Didn't test it actually with a rendering but the State is Ready, which is fine. Thanks for the hint :)

I'll come back with a little description of what I did, when rendering definitely works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:10 pm 

ticket wrote:
but what I didn't do until now is to start the server with the manager IP of the different network.

I'd suggest that, too. :) Nice to hear it works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:55 am 

This is actually a very hybrid approach :)

OSX is just the manager, Win64 and Linux64 are the servers.

I've tested several setup and that's what I've found out so far:

The main problem seem to be the path names, whether its a UNC samba path or AFP. The Responses I always get are that the server cannot load the scenes. I've tried different scenarios where to store a sample scene file, but it never worked on either of the machines.

How do I have to set up the manager machine to serve the MXS file for a coop render?

Linux obviously hates AFP and backslashes, but unfortunately those are always created when loading a scene and that's what make the Linux machine choke. Window doesn't like AFP, of course, but serving the scene via SMB also happened to work just 2 times and now, I don't know what I did change, it also doesn't work anymore.

Anyone using a hybrid coop setup with MacOS X as the manager and Linux and/or Windows as the slaves?

I'm really desperate here :( Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 pm 

I did some more test and switched the manager from OSX to Vista (on the same MacBook Pro). The sample scene - cage.mxs - is located on this machine.

The servers from both subnets still can connect to this machine.

Renders go fine on the networked Win64 machine.

Renderings on the Linux machine however fail, since the Linux machine cannot find the MXS file.

The error message is:

Code:
Reading MXS://DONKEY-VISTA/Render/cage.mxs
MXS file does not exist

The problem is clear, but how do I have to setup the share? I've also disabled the password protection and set the access level to Full Control and for Everyone available. Mounting the share under Linux without a user and password is no problem. (I know, generally not a good idea.) Reading and writing works fine. But still no luck.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:01 am 

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... 306#260306
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 am 

Tom, thanks a lot. I'd actually read this thread, but only the first page :roll: and I did try the trick with the path setup myself but it didn't work. Until I realized that it could be the cases and it was. So it's very important, at least for my machines, to use the same cases in the path names. As an example:

Windows share: //DONKEY/render
Linux path: /DONKEY/Render <- won't work
Linux path: /DONKEY/render <- works

Ok, I got it running for both machines, rendering individually. But rendering coop gives me head aches. When I try to coop, both machines stop at Receiving MXS 50% and my network connections get totally screwed. I cannot even reach the internet. I've to shut down the manager to remove the locks. After some time the network is finally available again.

The protocol looks like:

Code:
>> Udp transference initialized: length 195934, nPackets 2
>> Udp transference initialized: length 195934, nPackets 2
YES Puedoooooooooooooooooooor
YES Puedoooooooooooooooooooor
>> Prepare send MXS
time NULL
time NULL
time NULL
time NULL
time NULL
time NULL
time NULL
time NULL
SLOW DOWN 1 / 3

The other machine has more slow downs and finally stops with NO RESPONSE!!!!

What I've also tried is the following:

1. Start both servers, so the manager "knows" them
2. Stop server on one machine, get's shown as Disconnected in the GUI
3. Create a coop job for all machines and run it. This will be started immediately on the connected machine and shown as Pending on the disconnected one.
4. Restart the server on the second machine. It starts receving the MXS but stalls at 0% and my whole network freezes again. The other machine that's already rendering stalls as well.

Last edited by ticket on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:22 am 

And another thing I don't understand: On the Ubuntu machine I've to render as root, otherwise the server would save the mxi and tga it just rendered just one time and fails the next ones with the error

Code:
MXI: "//DONKEY/render/mxi/cage.mxi" not saved
Memory error: opening targa fileImage "//DONKEY/render/tga/cage.tga" not saved.

When I render as root, everything goes fine. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:08 pm 

And my last addition to this (won't promise): There's definitely something wrong with the networking when it comes to several subnets. I get messages from the manager that are supposed for one subnet on the other one and vice-versa. That's why coop fails.

Did you every try such a setup in coop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:28 pm 

I think it must be your network setup because coop works without problems here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:29 pm 

You mean, rendering coop with machines in different subnets works for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:55 pm 

No, my nodes are under same subnet but that wouldn't be a problem for Maxwell for sure. As long as nodes are detected and listed as servers or manually entered, coop will run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:02 pm 

Ok, but since you didn't actually try it out, it's a pretty tough statement that it would work for sure. I'm actually a programmer myself with some experience in networking code and I can assure you, what can go wrong will go wrong :twisted:

The other thing is that blaming it on a paying customer is not the way I would do it. I know that the stuff I'm asking may not be common but if it's supposed to work as you say and it doesn't, then I'd at least expect that the issue is being pursued by your team. The error messages I get from the servers are more than cryptic but as far as I could figure it out between the YES Puedoooooor!!!! lines and some other stuff (readable but mostly not understandable by humans outside the NextLimit universe :P), the packets containing the MXS, that should be sent to SERVER1 in SUBNET1 are at least partially received by SERVER2 in SUBNET2. And if one server receives packets it's not supposed to receive than I guess that something in the networking code could actually be wrong. And since you're using UDP over IP which carries all the necessary information like IP addresses and port numbers of the source and the target there's obviously a problem in either the broadcasting system or the server itself who gets a little nutty when receiving data it shouldn't actually care about.

I've created an overview of my network setup. Please have a look at it. There's no way that the wireless link can be changed to something wired. But a 802.11n connection should be no problem since the problem ONLY occurs during coop renders.

Network Setup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 pm 

I read my last post again and again but I can't see what makes you angry about it. If I was not trying to help you, why would I post here. I'm not a Linux expert nor a network programmer like you. Moreover, I didn't blame you for any reason. But if this is a language barrier, maybe it's my mistake.

But anyway, it's sad to see a technical conversation turned out very personal. It's my part trying to provide technical help as much as I can but can you see how many million dollars you've paid is not changing the fact that it didn't work and I don't know why I am the guilty here. In every one of two word, please don't remind us you've paid for this software, we do know this already. This is obviously not helping, let's try to be constructive.

Back to the issue:
I said I am sure it can operate under subnets as long as it can detect and list the server or manually entered. This is technically correct as we know how Maxwell works. A network system may fail due to tens of reasons that I cannot diagnose from here, so that's why I only decide to talk about the part I know. Previously we had experiences from other users saying wireless lans or subnets may tend to cause problems, disconnections, timeouts etc. This was already known but you didn't say it before my post in this thread. Although, I would again suggest you not to use wireless and/or subnets or bridged stuff.