Maxwell Render

Maxwell Render Information Repository
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:59 am 

When a render is done, all of my rendernodes has MXCL still using 3-4GB of ram? Why is that so?

ImageImage

This is just 4 of the servers, all 15 does the same thing.
It takes a while to restart MXCL on all of them each time I'me done with a render...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:13 pm 

i noticed that as well,.. but the servers clear out memory and virtual memory once you send a new job..
at least that's what i am observing here.
Somehow this is a swapfile issue.. any program that once consumed a lot of physical memory over a longer time, also gets a lot of paging (VM).

you can add these columns to the taskmanager to see what's going on...
in this case it's rhino having 2.7gb paged..
now if you quit such an application you will here your hdd go nuts for minutes (the new intel-ssdswill solve that problem) as windows is cleaning the fragments from the swapfile... which basically stalls your computer to a great extend.
one might not want mxcl to cause that automatically once the render or the merging process finishes, but a manually executable "purge memory" command would be a good thing to prepare mxcl for the next render while nodes are idle, otherwise rendering is delayed (as you noticed) at rendertime due to swap cleaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:53 am 

Thanks for that!

I've also experienced that if I haven't render for lets say 2 days, and start a render, all of my servers ends up in "Securing server"... I have to manually kill mxcl.exe and restart it, on all nodes...